10 MIND-BLOWING EASY LAUNDRY HACKS EVERYONE SHOULD KNOW
As a family of 6, laundry seems never-ending. You feel me?! Since I’m all about simple choices that help you live a better life, I put together my top 10 favorite laundry hacks that are a more proactive approach versus reactive. That just means, using these hacks will save you time, money and anxiety.
- I know laundry sucks. I couldn’t agree with you more. I seriously make my mom help every chance I get. But… the key to not hating laundry so much is to not treat it as an option. Treat it just as you would brushing your teeth. It needs to be done daily and you don’t start your day without doing it. My kids bring out their dirty laundry to the laundry room every morning and they put away their own clothes every day after school.
2. Take the time to sort laundry into piles, empty pockets and turn clothes right side in (you know what I mean, right?… the opposite of inside out). My kids have such an awful habit of taking their clothes of and pulling the leg or arm through inside out. GRRR. It’s annoying but a tip – If you have the kids help you fix THEIR clothes when sorting, they’ll be better about not doing that when then take them off. This doesn’t happen over night but if you remain consistent, after a few months it will happen less and less.
3. Husband of the year here helps with laundry occasionally which means he will often just change the load from the washer to the dryer without asking. But when he shrinks my favorite sweater or only pair of jeans that fits after my recent pregnancy, Oh my gosh… I see red rats everywhere. So now, we keep a dry erase marker in the laundry room drawer that I use it to write directly on the washing machine what to take out to air dry. GENIUS right? I know! Don’t worry, it wipes off super easy and won’t harm your machine.
4. Always use cold water. Get over your old school thinking of hot water means clean clothes. Warm/Hot water sets in stains and fades your clothes. So I give you permission to ONLY use hot water for bright whites. (Your electric bill will thank you too with this tip)
5. Tear dryer sheets in half. You don’t need a whole one. Just half will get the job done. Or if you ran out, just use a ball of aluminum foil in its place to prevent static.
6. To prevent pilling, wash clothes such as workout attire inside out. You wash those pieces so frequently that very often they will start looking rough quick. Side note: If you do get some pilling, just take a razor (like a cheap kind you shave your legs with) to it and shave off the pilling and your clothes will look good as new. I’ve been doing this for years.
7. If you throw a dry towel in with the wet clothes to the dryer, the load will take half the time to dry.
8. Get the whole family involved when it comes to carrying dirty laundry to the laundry room, folding and putting away. Even my 2 year old helps match socks, fold and put his own clothes in his drawers. (I’m such a mean mom. haha. Not really. He loves it!)
9. If you need to get wrinkles out of clothes fast but don’t want to iron. I NEVER IRON. Just saying! Yes, be jealous! So here’s what I do… Just throw a cup of ice cubes in the dryer with the clothes and turn it on. The extreme hot and cold produce steam and the wrinkles will be gone in minutes.
10. SSS -aka- Single Sock Syndrome. Don’t wait for the match. It’s never coming back. Do these three things – First, look in between the rubber liner of the drum of the machine (I’ll bet you find some) and secondly, if the match wasn’t hiding there, throw the singles away. And then thirdly, only buy matching socks from here on out and you will never search for a match again.
You’re mind blown right now, aren’t you?!?! I know!!! I guarantee there are a few tips here you didn’t know of and you will take great advantage of. You’re welcome!
If you have any great tips, drop them in the comments and help a sister out!